Tuesday, October 12, 2010

It Is What It Is....

I've been in NY for more than a month now and I've only posted 2 updates to this blog. That's pretty sad, considering I have 5 faithful followers that expect fresh material! So ready or not world - here is this week's post ;)

Most people wake up on Monday morning wishing it were Friday again, but not me! Monday is my one and only day off!! Completely set aside for me and this particular Monday was quite a glorious day, more or less.  It was the first Monday that I was allowed to roam about NYC all alone (but no need to worry, I had every intention of being back home before the sun set).  So after a few chores, I boarded the subway toward Manhattan and spent the afternoon in Soho.  I wanted to enjoy the city my way - window shopping, coffee and a book. So after hitting H&M and a few local shops I was looking for a less touristy place to enjoy my "joe" when it hit me! PAUSE: now, wouldn't this be the perfect time to tell you that God gave me some great revelation and I now have all the answers to all of mankind's questions?  But, alas that's not exactly what I mean.  What actually hit me was a loogie - the urban dictionary defines a loogie as a large slimy glob of spit, mixed with nose snot, that is formed by coughing up and hocking whats in your throat.  That's right folks, lung cookies on my foot (not shoe but actual skin). And as I looked around for the perp I noticed a homeless looking man wiping his mouth with the back of his hand and walking away undaunted.  Now you tell me what are the odds that out of the dozens of pedestrians and the inches of actual concrete around him that I would be the one hit by this pleasant surprise!?!?  And as I wiped the nastiness from my right foot onto the opposite pant leg (double eww) I thought about how the oddest things happen to me. I also decided this story had the makings of an amusing FB status as well as pretty good potential for a sermon illustration one day. 

Which brings me to the point of this post. After telling the story ten times I realized something. The guy didn't do it on purpose. In his defense he was quite oblivious to my standing in the way of his loogie. He was just doing what he felt needed to be done and he didn't worry about the outcome. It may be gross but its my whole purpose of being here. NO! not to get covered by another person's spit. On the contrary, God sent me to NY to spit spiritual loogies.  I just need to do what needs to be done and not worry about where it all lands. I'm laughing as I t type these words because it sounds stupid to say it that way but think about it for a second. I walk around with something on the inside of me that's dying to come out.  6 days a week I have the privilege to share God's word and most of the time I have no idea who it actually hits. So I realized something important today:  1) spray hand sanitizer comes in very handy;  2) God speaks through everything if only you listen closely enough.

Tuesday is the beginning of a new week and I pray I leave a lasting impact on a lost and dying world - kinda the same way a homeless man left his impact on me.  Maybe I'll never realize what I've done but it still needs to be done!  Thanks for all the prays prayed on my behalf but today I'm praying that every single person who reads these words will go out and impact someone today!  Love you all =D

No comments:

Post a Comment